Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Clothes

Ciao
Why has no one thought of starting a baby-clothes rental? It would be very convenient for everyone -you would always have clothes the right size and you wouldn't feel that you were wasting money on clothes that one can only use for a couple of weeks. Maybe my mum should start the business when she wants to go back to work! She could add maternity-clothes and nightgowns for the hospital to the rental agency!

I thought about this just now, when my mum was going through my clothes, putting away clothes that I've outgrown and putting in evidence those that I still haven't used but that will soon fit me. She has to do this job quite often, for else the risk is that I will outgrow some clothes before I even start using them.
As you may know I was born 49 cm, but now I'm 60 cm -and there is a lot of difference in that. My parents didn't know which size baby they were expecting, so the clothes they brought for me to the hospital made me disappear in textiles. When the nurses complained about it, my dad went and bought a couple of pyjamas that were the right size. Then when the milk-tanks got full and I could start eating a lot, I began to grow, and when I was 2 weeks old I couldn't wear any more the clothes that my dad had bought for me. Some days ago my mum tried to dress me in one of my (or her!) favourite sweaters from my early days, and it looked like a T-shirt on me, rather ridiculous! And sometimes my mum makes me wear pyjamas that are definately too little for me, I can hardly stretch my legs in them, but she feels that it would be a waste not to use them just a littttle bit longer. I just hope it doesn't block my growth to wear clothes that feel that tight!

But it's also difficult to understand the size of cloths. On some labels it's written that the piece is made for 1-2 months old babies, or 2-4 months old, but what on earth does that mean? My cousins in Iceland were born around 5 kg, but I also know some 2 months old babies that are weighing less, so how can people know which size to take? A lot of people gave me clothes that were meant for 3 months old babies, and some of these I have already outgrown -so either I'm huge or the producer have to rethink their labelling system.
The strangest label that my mum has seen so far however was on a french garment where it was written that the size was 60 cm in France and 62 cm in Germany. HOW CAN THAT BE? I know that the meter is in paris, and that German babies might be bigger than french...but I fail to see logic in the labeling!
Yet another thing about clothes are the buttons. I would reccomend to all producers of baby-clothes to number all the buttons on the pyjamas to make it easier for clumsy parents to button them up, especially when they are doing it at 3 in the night! My mum is extremily clumsy and somehow never seems to get things right the first time round. Sometimes it irritates me a lot when she has to redo everything, and all I want to do is go back to sleep, so a numbering system would be very much appreciated.
And since I've started suggesting things: how about elastic back on jackets so that it's easier to put the arms in the sleeves? or caps that don't fall over your eyes all the time and block your sight? And socks that don't fall off by themselves?
Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my god Oscar. How cute are you. Just as good I'm not in Italy. I would steal you.