Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tuscany

I've just come back from a short visit down to Tuscany to visit my grandparents. My parents have been planning to go there for some time but finally they decided that the visit couldn't wait, so they filled the car with all my stuff (amazing how many things are needed for a small person like me) and rushed down to Arezzo on saturday morning. I fell asleep just as we left Pavia, and hardly opened my eyes until Val d'Arno, which is between Firenze and Arezzo. 5 km before the exit to Arezzo I started to be hungry -but my mum managed to distract me so that she didn't have to pull out the milk-tanks until we arrived to my grandparent's house. We can safely say that this first really long drive went very well. My grandparents were very surprised to see us (well, it was a surprise visit), and of course I was the center of the attention for the rest of the weekend.
I have just started to realize the existence of "persons", so even if I'd seen my grandparents many times before, I was very suspectful when they took me in their arms, and didn't really feel completely safe unless I could see either my dad or my mum. This made my parents both happy and worried. Happy because it manifested the fact that I know them and that I feel safe and well in their presence. Worried because they think that maybe I will be too attached to them and scared of other people. The remidy, they say, is that all of you come to visit us, so that I get more used to having people around me :)
My parents used the opportunity and took a lot of photos of me (not that they hadn't done that before also...sigh) while we were with my grandparents. We even went on a photographic-safari in my grandparent's garden, where the trees and flowers are in full blossom, even if spring is not supposed to start (officially i.e.) for another week. I was in a rather bad mood on this safari, but my parents have a strange sense of humour and rather than waiting until I was in a good mood they took the photos anyway. You can see one of them here in the blog.
The drive back to Pavia went rather well also. I was awake most of the time, I started to cry for food just after we passed Bologna (who wouldn't...Bologna is one of the culinary-capital's of italy, and one gets hungry just to hear the name!), so my parents stopped at the service-station in Modena where I got my dinner.
I think that we can safely go on other long trips soon -although I don't guarantee that I'll behave so well next time!

Just before finishing I'd like to remind you of my mum's away-from Iceland anniversery. Yesterday it was 10 years since she took the plane to England with two suitcases and the idea to go abroad for a year. Here we are, 10 years and 3 countries later, and although my mum wouldn't mind at all being in Iceland -especially now that I've been born- then my parents have no immediate plans of moving there. But let's hope that we go there this summer to visit friends and family and so that I can breath in the fantastic clean air and enjoy the beauty of my mother-land. My mum thinks it's also important for me to go there if I'm to grow up a viking!!

Bless bless

No comments: