Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Oral geology

While studying geology at school, did you ever wish that you were able to see a geological phenomena, such as the dividing of the continents or the forming of the Alps, in fastforward -and then I mean a fastforward so lightning-fast that you can enjoy it in half an hour, from a air-balloon for example? Well, what would you say if I told you that this IS possible –in a miniature scale, and not from a air-ballon, but sitting comfortably in our sofa for example. Hm, saying that you would be comfortable would be exaggerating, not because our sofa is so bad (although it’s not exactly the “incarnation” of comfortableness), but because you would have to fight with me (or tickle me) to get me to open my mouth! Yes, that’s right. MY mouth, -for in this moment, the Alps -or maybe it’s the Himalayas, are pressing through my gengives and forming a beautiful, snow-covered chain of mountains, I call them Mont Blanc, Mont Everest, K2 and Aconcagua. In addition there is a Hvannadalshnjúkur erupting through the gengive in the front, it is less spectacular than the big mountains, but no less of a scene! When I write this (which is not necessarily when this is added to my blog, for our net-connection is on a holiday at the moment) you can see about half of each of these mountains (call them 4 molars and front tooth if you prefer –and have no fantasy). This activity doesn’t pass entirely unnoticed, neither for me, nor for my parents for it can be so painful to chew the food that mealtimes often end in tears, but my parents are really patient with me, which is just as good for I’m not pretending to suffer and it doesn’t ease my pain when they get angry with me, so their only worry is that I get enough nutrients. Well, and I’ve seen my mum cheer in silence, not for my suffering, but because during this activity I’ve scaled down the daily use of bibs from 12-15 to 2-4, maybe I will stop drooling completely one day!

Several weeks have passed since I wrote the part here above, and since then the 4 molars have appeared in their full beauty and my mum has stopped cheering for the diminished use of bibs, for now she can see that my eye-teeth are about to arrive, and drooling is definately back!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have my sympathy.