Thursday, October 23, 2008

The third language

I'm very busy these days learning to talk. This is no minor task, as I have to learn two languages with relatively complicated grammar and a pronounciation that goes beyond everything I could imagine coming out of my throat!

My main study-strategy is to listen and repeat! First I started by repeating the last word (or a fraction of a word) that my parents said:
Buon appetito
-tito
Hva
ð ertu að borða?
-borða
-Skamm Oscar, ekki berja Irene, þù àtt að vera gòður
-gòður
You get my point. My parents make a point of varying the last word so that I can learn as much as possible. It would of course be disastrous for my learning technique if they always said "Oscar" in the end of every sentence:
-You have to show Irene your love, Oscar.
-Did you see the moon, Oscar?

-Life is wonderful, Oscar
In this case, I would have learnt only to say Oscar 3 times, but would have had great difficulty to express my love for the wonderful moon!
Little by little I'm adding to the length of the repeated part, and yesterday e.g. I managed to repeat: það mà ekki klessa à hurðina.
I've also started to separate the two languages. For example I wouldn't dream of saying the colour of things to my dad in Icelandic or to my mum in Italian, and there are more and more words that I know in both languages, such as the name of differnt pieces of clothes, bodyparts, food items and so on. My vocabulary is growing every day, and I love to talk to my parents about various things. Yesterday over dinner e.g. we discussed who had poo'ed already and who hadn't, that was funny! But I also like to give a speech about various things and to talk on the telephone. And before going to sleep I catch up on things with my good friends Badda (bjalla) and Santi (bangsi) and sometimes I tell them also a go to bed story. I know how to change my voice so as to represent various persons, e.g. a troll and a goat and I invent stories as I go along. Sometimes the storytelling can go out of hand and my parents have to come and hush on me so that I don't wake up the whole neighbourhood with my monologues.

Actually my mum says that rather than me learning 2 languages she's struggling to learn the 3rd language of the house...my language! This is because my pronounciation is not very accurate. I follow the rule that as long as I get understood I don't polish the pronounciation part. Therefore, BANGSI becomes santi, and DANSA becomes santa, even if I have no problems pronouncing neither BA nor DA. This is ok as long as I keep the context clear, but as soon as I start to talk about DOS outside of the kitchen, or LALLO when we're in the car my mum has difficulty to understand that I'd like to have some cheese (ost) or that I'd just seen a horse (cavallo). But as long as our town is not full of cows or balloons, and that no one except me and her understand icelandic, she's happy. For imagine my mum's face if I went around town saying tussa (=kusa=cow) or bloddy (=loftbelgur=balloon) all the time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he, he +
Framburður getur verið vandamál. Lítil vinkona mín var hér í strætó og kallaði á mömmu sína: Mamma hor, mamma hor, mamma hor...
Vildi notlega bara láta snýta sér en það hljomaði öðruvísi í eyrum breta..
kv.
Svana

Unknown said...

Yeah, I often discuss with my friends who had pooed etc. Very useful topic.