Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Time

Last Sunday somebody moved one hour of daylight from the evening to the morning here in Italy. I don't know who is responsible for this magic trick, but this way the people of Italy save 99 millions of Euros (646 milions kwh of electricity), the newspapers say. I doubt that this is true, for I've checked the pocket of my pants, and they are just as empty as usually!
For me, this trick with the light has one immediate consequence: it gets dark long before I've exhausted my energy at the playground in the afternoon. How can I be happy with a few cents extra in my pocket when I'm forced to either play in the dark or go right home after kindergarten?
Mum says things are going to get worse. Soon it will still be dark when I go to kindergarten, and it will be dark already when I go back home in the afternoon. This makes absoloutely no sense to me! What does the government think about the fact that there will be no daylight left for me to enjoy a walk in the city or a visit to the playground when I've finished kindergarten in the afternoon? The millions of euros saved now will have to be used for depressive medicine later, when a whole generation of daylight-prived children become adults.
Therefore I suggest an immediate change. Instead of bothering with moving one hour of daylight from the evening to the morning, why don't we move several hours of daylight from the morning to the afternoon. It would be as if the whole nation had taken an intercontinental flight during the night, and woken up in a different time zone! The effect would be that during winter it would be dark, lets say until lunch (italian lunch, around 1-2), and then we can let daylight come and stay with us until it's time to go to bed. That way the sun will shine on us during the hours in which we can actually enjoy a few rays of sun!
When I become a prime minister....

No comments: