Can someone explain to me what happens as words travel through air? Is there some mechanism that mixes them up so that no one can understand them? Well, I find it somewhat puzzling thatwhen I say miao my parents understand that I'm imitating a cat and reply Miiiaaaooo, when I say iiihhh, they recognize the horse,
when I say vooohh they think I'm a dog...or well, my mum does -my dad insists that dogs say bau, wherever he gets that idea from-
when I say quaqua they play a duck
and when I say dudu they make the sound of the train that passes behind our house.
But when I say loud and clear Dear parents, my stomach is empty like a black hole, in other words, I'm really really hungry, would you be so kind to give me something to eat,
they say yes, we shall go and read a book for you
or
yes, mum loves you very much too Oscarino.
I don't get it, was I not being clear enough?? I do my best to understand the mumblejumble that my parents say, although I'm somewhat confused by the difference in the words that they use -each of them has their own words for everything, which goes long in explaining my father's bau-business. But maybe they just aren't trying hard enough to decipher what I'm saying...or maybe the words do get changed as they travel through air...
4 comments:
Dear Oscar. Here comes the truth. You're parents are fairly dumb and they will get particularly dumb when you are at the age of 13-20. After that they will get somewhat brighter. Yes, isn't it strange that their intelligence will actually follow your age. It's one of those strange things in the world.
But when it comes to languages parents are not that good. They recognize the sounds of the cat and the train etc. because they taught it to you. So when you repeat it they know what you're saying because they reognize the words. When you tell them you're hungry it's not words they know - after all, you never see parents teach that to their kids - as useful it would be nevertheless. So bear with them for a while, eventually they will learn this and you'll be able to boss them to do whatever you want.
Well, actually my parents understand when I say individual words, for example "DAH" for "datt" when I let things fall to the floor, "LEH" for "bless" when I say goodbye to people "GO GO" for "goda nott" and so on...it's when it comes to whole sentences that they don't follow. I speak fluent icelandic/italian, but they don't have fluent ears!
Yeah, you see, this is because they've taught you how to say datt, bless and góða nótt, but they haven't taught you whole sentence. But mostly it's because you're parents are fairly dumb (hehehehehe - don't tell them I said that).
Don't worry Stina, they never read my blog!
Post a Comment