Thursday, April 03, 2008

War of independence

Lately I've been fighting a war -a war of independence! Actually I've fought a war of independence since the day I was born, and my motto has always been "I'll do it on my own or I wont do it at all!" e.g. when I was learning to walk, I didn't accept being held by the hands while walking, either I walked on my own, or I'd rather just sit down, or crawl. But I've sort of known my limits, and not asked to do things that I knew were far too difficult for me. The past few months, however, I've felt that I've become more and more able to do things, and so I've come to think it's time that I do things on my own! First of all I've learnt to eat on my own with a fork, and although I don't always manage to fish my food with the fork, I don't mind, and just use my fingers instead with the difficult bits. I find the spoon slightly more difficult to handle, things tend to spill out of the spoon before it reaches my mouth, but I insist (rather loudly) on eating e.g. the yogurt or the breakfast cereals without help, and if my parents so much as try to hold the yogurt-box I litterally freak out. The first few times I tried using the spoon by myself were very messy, but I'm getting the grab of it, and here you can see one successful session that my mum managed to catch with her camera.
Later I found out that it was easier to just drink the yogurt, and here you can see how happy I was with this discovery! I'm still perfectioning the method, but I think I might be able to spread it around the world as the new trend!
Here I've only given you culinary-examples of my independence war, but the war goes far beyond this. I'll give you two more examples. First of all I've learnt to clean my nose by myself. I know this sounds trivial, but imagine the benefits for someone that has had a running nose for approximately 5 months! I never blow my nose when my parents are cleaning it, but when I clean it myself I give it a thorough cleaning and blow my nose for at least 2 minutes with a lot of noise and necessary coreography. I've also started blowing the nose of all my stuffed animals, so there can be a real nose-blowing-concert at home.
The last example I'd like to give you is from the playground. At the playground I love the slide, and can use it 10 times in a row and never get tired. I mainly go to 3 different playgrounds in Pavia, and there are slides of different sizes and steepness. The small ones I can climb and slide quite well on my own, but I insist on doing all of them, even the biggest and steepest ones on my own. If my parents try to hold me, I brush away their hands and tell them angrily that I'm a big boy that can handle these things. By some miracle, however, my parents always show up on the right moment when I accidentally sit on my feet or slide down on my stomach, and save me from any major injuries.
I'm wondering if I should soon ask to dress myself as well -but as all my attempts so far to put on my shoes and socks have failed, I think I'll wait just a moment before launcing myself into the getting-dressed world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should definitely insist on dressing yourself and also to get to pick out the clothes. Wear what you want when you want it. I would in general not allow your parents to decide anything and if they even try, you do the opposite. Teach them early what their limits are.

Allegri all'aperto said...

I would love to do that, Stina, but the problem is that I would have to remain more or less nude all the time....so I better wait for the summer to take control over the getting-dressed business!